Thursday, April 17, 2008

Apparently, the air is no longer "free"

Ever since I've been old enough to have a respectable sense of humor (basically, around the time I stopped telling "knock knock" jokes...), I've always thought it was insanely funny that gas stations would promote "free air" as an incentive for customers to use their station. Like anyone would be dumb enough to charge, let alone pay for, air.

Yesterday was the most glorious of days so far this spring. Mid-sixties, windy with plenty of sun. I decided that my first bike ride of the spring was long overdue, so I went to the garage to dust off the old Schwinn. Like I suspected, the tires were low, so I tossed it in the trunk and drove to the Oasis Market to top them off.

I pulled up to the air area, taking for granted what I was assuming would be a quick fill. No deal. Before I had a chance to even put the car in park, I noticed that this particular air cost 75 cents. And it was on a timer. Yeah, not only would I have to pay for the air for my tires, but I'd also have to fill them on a timed limit that wasn't listed. That was stress I absolutely did not need, plus I didn't have three quarters, so I peeled out of there lickity split.

Now, some of you know this, some of you don't, but I live in a suburb of Minneapolis that is considered to be a little hoity toity. Not so much where my roommates and I live, but the average price for a home is considerably higher than that of other suburbs; the logical thing to think would be "Well, of course, the gas stations charge for the air in Minnetonka. Can't they afford it with all of the money trees that line the boulevards in their posh little city?" *Snicker, snicker*

Here's where irony sets in.

While I live in Minnetonka, this particular gas station is located in Hopkins, which is about six blocks from our townhouse, and the area is much less than hoity toity - I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "trashy," but that's just because I don't want the people who hang out in front of the gas station to read this, track me down and beat the hell out of me.

For example, there's a small grocery store located next door which is called "EZ Foods." I'm pretty sure it's actually a front for the owners to sell drugs without being hassled by the cops because the place always smells like incense and all of their products (except for the dairy) are incredibly old. Oh yeah, and they sell hand blown glass "tobacco" pipes. Uh huh. Riiiiight.

Exhibit number two: next door to the grocery store is a liquor store called...wait for it..."Beers and Wines." No, I'm not joking. Nobody could make something that stupid up. And both stores have signs that look like they were painted by drunk 6th graders back in the mid-1960s.

So it was baffling that, in an area as noted above, the air cost 75 cents. Six blocks away, at a Holiday, the air was free and not on a timer. Stress-free and I saved money... if you don't count the gas I wasted driving around looking for "free air."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Charging for air?? What the heck. What is the world coming to?!!!